This is a dress that I got for Christmas from my parents. I really liked the dress, but the style did not end up being that flattering on me, so I decided to change it up a bit. These are the steps of how I did it:
I put it on my manequin like so....
First, I seperated the lining and the smocked skirt bottom from the bodice (top). Then, I repinned the lining to the top of the smocked lower skirt half, leaving the bodice of the dress off altogether.
Then, I sewed the lining in place, pulling on the smocked top as I sewed, so the lining would refit perfectly back in.
Now, with the help of my husband, I repinned just the shoulder straps (that used to be on the bodice/top) onto my new smocked top dress. I hand sewed the straps in place, front and back.