February 25, 2010

Window Dressing

This is my "Before" living room. Paint will come very soon, but my first priority was to dress the window. It just looks so lonely!
I had these ikea curtains already from our last place, but they were about a little more than a foot too short in length. I wanted to hang the curtains from near the ceiling to bring more warmth to the room, and match the other curtains I have up. I first added a panel to the bottom that gave me the extra length I needed, sewing it to the bottom hem of each brown panel.

I then turned under all the edges of the additional length piece and sewed them down. I used brown thread to add an interesting contrast to the bottom addition.
Where the bottom panel was sewn on, I pinned the under seam down and top stitched 2 rows on top of each of the panels.

I was inspired by this idea from Lotta Jansdotter, as I often am, and decided to make my own stencil. I copied the above design from a piece of curtain panel I had leftover.

I finished cutting my stencil (with a sharp exacto knife), and taped it down to go over my existing curtain and added panel. I wanted the added panel to appear that it has always belonged there. I used Pebeo fabric paint in Cardinal Red to stamp in the image. I repeated this stencil 4x on each panel.

This is a close up of what each stencil looked like completed. With the Pebeo paint(for fabric), the company recommends that you wait 24 hours after painting your design, to iron the front and back of the fabric where the design appears. After this, the design will be color-fast and the fabric and stencil completely washable.

Ah, a very happy window at last!






7 comments:

  1. Nice job! Great tutorial, thanks for sharing this information. I'm a new follower now. Found you on Marketing Monday!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found you through marketing monday's blog hop. I am now following you :)

    Have a great day!

    http://www.livelovelaughwithleslie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now following you...I found you through the blog hop.

    Have a great day!

    http://authormamalone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am following you from Trendy Treehouse's Market Monday!

    Stop by http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty!!

    I'm hosting a giveaway a@ my blog!! Stop by and check it out!!

    http://madebystephie.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great. I love the little red details :)

    Thanks for comin' by!

    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete