March 28, 2010

Inspiration to Dress!

About a month ago I saw an inspiration dress made by Sutton Grace here that she copied from a dress on Shabby Apple's web shop here. I thought it was a cute dress, and I have been designing and developing a remake dress of my own, pulling from pieces I already have. Here's what I started with: A shirt donated by my friend, Lana, and a gray and black remnant of fabric (leftover from a curtain I made in January). I usually "dress" my just-my-size mannequin to help my visualize the end result better:I cut the bottom off the shirt, added a black band, and gathered the gray skirt and it looked like this:

Unfortunately I tried it on, and my husband said, "you kinda look like a teacher or schoolgirl in a uniform"...so more altering needed to take place. I then decided to make it look more like the Shabby Apple inspiration dress, and so I cut off the previous collar and decided to do a scoop neck:
Then, I added a neck lining, and twill tape to the middle (old button up area) band, and made a gathered flower detail in the middle:
I thought about it overnight, and decided..."this flower is super cute, but really not me," so off it came (to be used elsewhere at a later date).

And then the dress looked like this:
And here's what the work in progress looks like on:

Just need a zipper in back and a much shorter hem (where the safety pin is). I'm thinking this will be the final design, but I'd love to know what you think? Am I done? Should I keep going? do you love it? Do you hate it? Please leave me a comment! : )

10 comments:

  1. I luv it Joy! its nice and simple. I think you should maybe try something in the waist! try the flower in the middle of the waist and see how it looks! either way its gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its fabulous and even better than the two dresses you linked to. You should be proud!! I personally liked the flower you did, but I understand not wanting to wear something you don't feel comfortable in. Now I need one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks awesome Joy! I really like the ruffle you put on the placket. It is so simple and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I think if you added a big chunky necklace and bracelet you'd be all set. You could wear this with flip flops and when the weather gets colder, you could wear tall boots and tights with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in awe and amazement. I can sew a straight line on a good day. It looks beautiful. BTW, I got the brads I used for the Ribbon Memo Board at Michaels. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I'm your new follower thought Marketing Mondays! Great site! Visit me at www.rockindeals4you.com and sign up for my first giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks darling! I love it!
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  8. My word! That looks awesome! Send me one okay? But let me loose 10 or so lbs first.. :) I love it with the flower, but I love all things flowery and ruffly :) Looks great either way, you rock mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both of your creations- the dress and the top. And of course you look so cute in each one. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The joy is in the details, isn't it? Love the final ruffled look, tho the flower was cute too. Very pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete